Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Benefits of Red Wine ~ a surgeon’s viewpoint


As a surgeon, lot of people keep asking me whether wine is good or bad for the heart. Well, my instant reply is – Depends on how much of it you are consuming J
Research shows that Moderate Consumption of wine (i.e. 5-US-fluid-ounce (150 ml) glass of wine per day for women and two glasses per day for men) is beneficial to health in terms of longevity and heart health. But by that, as a surgeon, I am not advocating wine consumption, rather, I’m advising ‘moderate consumption’ of wine.
Personally, I prefer to have red wine as it is known to have resveratrol, a substance known to be good for heart health. Also, I prefer to have Indian wines. Four Seasons Merlot is one of the good options in red wine that I have consumed in recent times.
So, to sum up a surgeon’s viewpoint – Have red wine and if you are from India, stick to Indian brands.

No comments: